Sunday, March 1, 2009

Building a Healthy Nest, Part II

As promised, here's a brief introduction to our exercise routine.

In early January, one of my dear friends introduced me to Jillian Michael's The 30 Day Shred. The DVD is comprised of three different workouts (levels 1, 2 & 3) that are each twenty minutes long. They're killer. The first time I spent time with Jillian I thought I was going to collapse after just 10 minutes. I was dripping sweat, my arms functioned like wet noodles, and it was all I could do to keep from swearing at Jillian. By the end of the 20 minutes, I realized that despite my daily trips to our little gym, I was terribly out of shape and had almost zero strength.

We bought our own copy the next day.

G and I "spend time with Jillian" (as we call it) about five times a week. We've progressed to Level 2, but don't think we'll face the challenges of Level 3 anytime too soon.

After a few weeks of spending time with Jillian, G played tennis and reported that for the first time in a long time he maintained a high level of energy throughout the match and wasn't winded. I also went for a two mile jog a few weeks after we bought the dvd and never broke pace or felt like I needed to quit. It must be doing something!

Now we mix it up with one of her new DVDs (click here). We like this one, too, but find The 30 Day Shred to give us the most intense, productive workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment