Thursday, March 19, 2009

Recipe: Vegetarian Chili

Last week, I made a vegetarian chili that we both (surprise!) enjoyed a lot. The original recipe came from The Food Network. You can find it here. I slightly modified it so that it wasn't so spicy. In addition to cutting down the amount of ingredients that gave the recipe its heat, I completely eliminated the mushrooms (mushrooms are a key ingredient, so leave them in if you can...my husband wouldn't have touched the chili with a ten foot pole if I had left them in, though).

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped red bell peppers (I forgot to add this, but wish I would have remembered...)
1 cup chopped carrots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 minced serrano peppers
1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
2 cups frozen corn
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (I left the skin on and the seeds in - worked fine)
3 cups canned black beans
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup water

Directions:

Add oil to large soup pot. When oil is hot, add onions, bell pepper, carrots, garlic and serrano peppers. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini and corn. Cook for 6 minutes (vegetables should give off liquid). Add seasoning. When fragrant, add all chopped tomatoes. Stir. Add beans, tomato sauce and water. Stir. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Easy and good, I promise.

[Note: I'll post our weekly menu starting again next Monday. This week's menu was boring and consisted of mostly frozen leftovers from previous weeks. After being sick all weekend, I was so thankful for the leftovers in our freezer. It's made dinner super easy to prepare this week!]

No comments:

Post a Comment