Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Report Card 7

This week has been exhausting.

My ebd student started acting out yesterday. I was ever so hopeful that I wasn't going to experience his bad behaviors during my time at the school, but yesterday things went downhill. Fast. Unfortunately, after school today I was informed that I haven't seen the worst of it yet. I really hope I'm never part of a situation that escalates to the point where he becomes uncontrollable. It's been such an emotionally draining experience. I need to keep reminding myself that school is probably his safe zone. Regardless of how difficult it might be, I need to handle his outbursts with love and patience.

I called my mom after work today to tell her about my experience with the child who acted out in class. She's in-the-know on the topic and had some good advice. She also picked up on the fact that I was tired and reminded me that when a person is emotionally drained, s/he can feel as though they are physically drained. I've definitely felt that way during the first part of the week. I'm going to do my best to get some good rest tonight and hope the rest of the week isn't nearly as emotionally draining as the first part.

On a more positive note, the ESL student I work with who has learning disabilities nailed his presentation today. He worked so hard on it and until this morning was adament that he was not going to present. But he surprised us and he did. I even heard him say: "My project is so cool." I was so proud of him that I almost cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment