Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend Recap

Friday night, we stayed in and ate whole wheat spaghetti, tomato sauce, and a very healthy serving of green vegetables. After dinner, we watched G's latest documentary pick (I repeat, his pick) The Corporation and then called it a night.

We're very exciting people.


We slept in on Saturday morning, went grocery shopping, and ate a quick lunch before heading over to Fort Snelling to practice our photography skills. After visiting both the historic site and the state park for a quick walk, we found a cell phone lot near the airport and watched airplanes land and take off. We thought we were pretty nerdy for even thinking of watching airport traffic, but then we noticed an older man with a set of binoculars and another guy (and his very young daughter, who was very excited about the planes) who actually had some sort of special radio that allowed him to listen to the control tower (at least we thought that's what it was). It was nice to be nerdy, but not that nerdy, if you know what I mean.

That night we met G's college roommate and his wife for dinner at the 5-8 Club. G's been wanting to try a Juicy Lucy (or Jucy Lucy, depending on where you get it) for a long, long time. Saturday seemed like a good day to do it. He thought it was excellent. We'll put it on our list of places to bring our out-of-town friends when they're in town.

We ended the night with a walk around Lake Harriet and a short ride on one of the old streetcars.


Sunday afternoon we took a tour of the Capitol, which is considered one of the most beautiful public buildings in the United States. It had been a while since our last official tour (third grade?) and we figured we were due for a refresher course. The tour was great, and made better by the fact that it was free (and so was our parking, because it was a Sunday).

We ended the afternoon at Izzy's, where I discovered the most amazing ice cream flavor ever invented: Norwegian Chai.

That night I tried to make TVP sloppy joes using a recipe I found online. The end product was one of the most digusting meals I have ever put together. Don't get me wrong, I like TVP and I think it's a good source of protein, but nothing good came out of this recipe. I could only stomach a few bites. G somehow managed to finish his entire sandwich. What a kind man. I think I'll use the rest of our supply to make some TVP tacos, which I know we both like and taste good.

We enjoyed another late start on Monday morning. I visited the gym, we ate a quick lunch, and then drove over to the b-i-l's place so G could play some tennis with him. Dinner last night consisted of chicken breasts and a red potato salad. The potato salad recipe came from the Food Network Magazine (which I love). I can't find the recipe online - I'll post it later in the week. It would be a good dish to bring to a potluck or a picnic.

All in all, a good, relaxed weekend!

I'll post more pictures in our Picasa Album. Let me know if you need the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment