Thursday, June 4, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas

Shortly after we moved to MN, I made enchiladas using a canned sauce that was horrible. And by horrible, I mean difficult to even put in our mouths. I tried a new recipe - and a new brand of sauce - last tonight and the final product was awesome. Here's the link to the recipe. And here are the changes I made:

* I substituted extra virgin olive oil for vegetable oil
* Chili pepper instead of Mexican spice blend (does that even exist?)
* 4 teaspoons canned chopped green chilies (I omitted all other peppers)
* The corn provides a nice sweetness, so I added a little extra

I should also mention that I used 1/2 the amount of chicken and spices, but all of the stewed tomatoes. I started with one can (14.5 ounces), but there wasn't enough liquid so I added the extra can. That decision resulted in way too many tomato chunks. I think next time I'd use one 14.5 ounce can of stewed tomatoes and a little (1/3 cup?) chicken broth. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment