Friday, June 19, 2009

Home!


There are several phrases you never want to hear on an airplane. This afternoon, shortly after reaching cruising altitude (which we were at for all of a few minutes), our pilot came on the PA system and announced: "Folks, things aren't looking so good up here." This statement was followed by a short pause during which my I developed a cold sweat and a rapid pulse rate. The pilot must have realized that he needed to clarify his statement, because shortly thereafter he tried to offer some clarification, letting us know that he was referring to some "rough air" that was going to cause some significant turbulence. I didn't recover until we had pulled up to our gate.

The rough air we flew through was on the tail end of a giant storm that was raging across Iowa and Illinois. Several flights from the airport in Nebraska were delayed or canceled, which meant there were a good number of unhappy people. Trust me when I say the Omaha airport isn't an ideal place to spend a lot of time..especially for those people who left campus at 3:30 AM to catch 6:00 AM flights, only to find the departure times had been delayed until early that evening. Fortunately, I had booked an afternoon flight and didn't have to worry about delays or cancellations.

I am so glad to be home. I have big plans to sleep in tomorrow. Grading the same essay question from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM for 7 days straight can really make a girl tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment