Thursday, March 18, 2010

Home Projects: Dining Room I

I'm at my parents' home for the night. My mom is performing in the pit orchestra for the local high school's production of Once Upon a Mattress, and being the good daughter that I am, I decided to attend the opening night performance. I'm sure that for every 1 concert of hers that I've attended she's probably been to 100 of mine, so I owe her. Big time.

Going home also meant that I could check out some furniture that my dad offered to us when we moved into our house last August. I initially told him "no," but in February I started rethinking my plans for the kitchen and decided his old dining room table might be a good fit. You see, I was originally very committed to placing a Parsons table in our dining room...


...and while I still love the look of the table (and the room above), after shifting course with the style of our living room, I decided we needed something with a little more character. With that said, I would like to introduce you to our newest piece of furniture, our dining room table:


It's been sitting in the basement of my parents' house for as long as I can remember, which makes sense since my dad bought it before I was born. It never really served its intended purpose, but it definitely worked well for art projects, folding laundry, and keeping things away from our dogs. No one is really sure how old the table is, but we do know it's solid oak. When it's fully collapsed it's a square that can probably seat around 6, but you can add two table leaves that will increase seating to 10 (at least it looks like it will).

Here's a close up of one of its five legs. I'm in love. So simple, yet so much character.


Unfortunately, the top of the table is going to require a little TLC. One of the slats is warped and needs to be repositioned and secured. The good news is that my dad thinks we can tackle that project this summer. It also (obviously) needs a bath, some linseed oil, and a few coats of fresh varnish. I am really excited to see what it looks like in our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment