There are hundreds of seeds hiding under this soil:
I over-seeded with the hope that it would increase the chances that a good number of them would actually germinate. I planted 10 rows of vegetables (lettuce, peas, beans, carrots, two types of onions), a patch of chives, and some violas along the north edge of the garden. The back section of the garden was actually still partially frozen when my dad tilled it, so he suggested turning the soil every other day for a few weeks and then planting. I'm planning to plant some brussel sprouts and broccoli in that section, but don't mention that to my husband. I'm afraid he'd take some weed killer to the entire garden if he knows I'm planning to harvest a healthy crop of brussel sprouts.
Here's what I put in the north section of the garden:
In other garden-related news, our raspberry bushes appear to still be alive (yeah!) and are sprouting new leaves:
The rhubarb is coming up like gangbusters (if that's possible):
And the cactus I'm eager to remove from the garden is doing something interesting, so I've decided to let it grow for another summer. It's hard to see in this picture, but there are little sprouty things along the edges of the cactus. Yesterday I noticed that one of them had developed into a relatively large red bud (just a bit smaller than my pinky finger), so we'll see what happens...
And that's the news from our gardens. Hoping for lots of new growth this week!
Off to work. I was just assigned an EBD kid yesterday, so my job just got even more interesting.