Thursday, February 25, 2010

Politics

A couple of weeks ago, I went to one of our local high schools for my political party's precinct caucuses. I arrived hoping to cast my ballot for the straw poll and then bug out before they started talking about the party's platform and policy issues. Let's face it folks, I hate unorganized meetings and listening to people ramble about pointless topics for long periods of time. I decided to vote and then go to yoga.

As I walked into my room of 7 people (so, so much different than 2008), I was approached by my precinct's chair who asked me if I could assist a deaf woman in the room by typing the conversation that took place. I couldn't say no, so I sat down and got comfortable for the meeting.

Note: It turns out the woman I was helping was also legally blind and very invested in Minnesota's political scene. She asked me to nominate her as a delegate for the upcoming convention, and to find out whether or not there would be someone there could assist her for the meeting. I asked about accommodations, and was surprised when the precinct chair said they didn't think that was possible due to budget cuts (he even pondered out loud as to whether they would have someone there if there weren't budget issues AND asked the entire event's organizer who agreed with his response). I typed his response to the woman, and she just laughed it off, saying she would be okay. I was not okay. I then nominated (with her permission) her to the accommodations committee for the upcoming meeting. I figured it was the best volunteer position for her to make her needs known. Jerks.


Sorry about the rant, but it still bothers me.

After the meeting started and we had cast our ballots, the chair asked who wanted to be nominated as a delegate for the next convention. The woman I was helping eagerly raised her hand, but no one else did. In fact, I made it clear that I did not wish to attend the meeting. Somehow my name was added to the list and I have been inundated with phone calls from various candidates and volunteers ever since. I am not attending the meeting and I am so annoyed that I was nominated. They call at all hours of the day. It's gotten to the point where I just don't answer my phone if I have an incoming unidentified number from a metro area code.

I'm annoyed with my party. I hate saying it, but I'm just annoyed. I'm totally committed to most aspects of its platform, but I hate how disorganized it is at this level. I'm most annoyed by the fact that they didn't think they'd be able to offer assistance for the blind-deaf woman. In fact, I'm going to email the SoS right now and voice a complaint.

Apologies again for the rant. Also sorry if I've ignored your phone calls. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment