Friday, February 26, 2010

Things I Like: Røros-Tweed

The summer after I finished college, I lived in Hamar, Norway and worked at a history center. One weekend midsummer I took the train up to Røros, a UNESCO site. The town is neat to visit, but I cut my trip short because I couldn't handle the "affordable" accommodations in the area (log cabins with incredibly old mattresses, one sheet (the top sheet) and no pillow PLUS the possibility of random strangers being assigned to share my cabin with me = not good for this woman). Anyway, while I was there I fell in love with these blankets:


They were initially very attractive because I had just spent the night wearing multiple layers and wrapped like a sausage in my one sheet (with a shirt wrapped around my head turban style in an attempt to keep my hair from touching the mattress), but I also loved the way they felt on my skin. I had no idea that wool could feel that amazing. Unfortunately, I was living on an extremely tight budget so I couldn't justify buying one. Like everything else in Norway, they're a little pricey.

My mom, who has an incredible ability to retain bits of random knowledge, remembered that I loved them and surprised us* with one after her trip to Norway last fall. It hasn't left our bed since. It has an amazing ability to keep me at a perfect temperature. It feels incredibly soft. It's beautiful. I had to wait six years for mine, but I know I'll have it forever. The quality is amazing. Buy one. You'll initially feel a little guilty when you fork over the money for it, but you certainly won't regret it. This, my friends, is a good investment.

*Who am I kidding? I don't share it with anyone, including my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment