Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Green Demon

Yesterday morning, I unlocked my car, dumped my bags onto the back seat, and opened the front door. Suddenly its hazard lights started flashing and the alarm was blaring. Having experienced this before, I slid into the driver's seat and started the engine. Starting the engine should have caused the alarm to stop blaring, but it didn't. I turned the car off. The alarm kept going.

I opened the garage door and reversed.

The alarm kept going.

I turned off the car.

It kept going.

I opened the car doors and shut them.

It kept going.

I started the car again.

It kept going.

My neighbors started to emerge from their houses to see what was happening.

I waved at them as my car's horn beeped and lights flashed.

I called my dad, foolishly thinking he would be able to help me from afar. No luck.

It just kept going and going and going.

It felt like forever, but it probably only lasted a few minutes. When I realized I couldn't control the problem I started to get really nervous because I had to be at my subbing job in less than 20 minutes. My dad suggested that I just drive to work with the alarm on, but there was absolutely no way I was going to drive down any road with my car's lights madly flashing and the alarm blaring. I probably would have caused everyone to clear out of my way allowing me to get to work in time, but can you imagine how embarrassing that would have been?

There's a reason we call it The Green Demon.

No comments:

Post a Comment